Mechanical Engineer – Memphis, TN
The Field Mechanical Engineer will act as an internal mechanical subject matter expert for simple to complex material handling systems used for the parcel and related customers. Able to work both independently and in a team environment. Aids in the in the design and development of post and parcel/material handling systems to fulfill contract requirements. Interact with Applications Engineering, Controls, Project Management, Purchasing, Field on the design, procurement, and installation of the systems being designed.
- Understanding and implementation of mechanical designs per specifications and standards as required by the customer.
- Generation of construction Scope of Works
- Ensuring subcontractors are meeting all of the client's specifications and delivering in a timeframe that matches the other parts of the installation
- OSHA Certification preferred
- Learn customer-specific specifications and industry standard practices
- Become a key contact in the organization for all parcel mechanical knowledge
- Review complex project requirements and mechanical layouts outlining specific concerns or improvements
- Aids in the selection and procurement of mechanical components
- Plan, organize and complete the mechanical engineering effort required for a given task to meet the project schedule and budget
- Communicate the status of the engineering effort to management as required
- Design a system to meet specifications including, but not limited to, throughput, load capacity, size range, and building clearances
- Properly apply material handling and auxiliary equipment as needed to meet project requirements and minimize total project cost (engineering, material and installation)
- Order material and clearly communicate specifications and requirements, by task, in time to meet project needs
- Adherence to project budgets, both material costs and engineering hours
- Oversee and/or generate cost estimates for proposed opportunities
- Develop Request for Proposal packages for submittal to prospective equipment and service suppliers
- Assist in review of their RFP responses
- Provides engineering support for field start up personnel.
- Review/Prepare an installation package that contains the drawings, special instruction, and other information that communicates all necessary technical information to installers/ subcontractors
- Help project manager and installation department to plan the installation effort.
- Seek the least (total) cost and most practical solutions to system designs and technical problems considering engineering, material and installation components
- Evaluate job site conditions when required and coordinate lists or tasks required for others
- Prepare, maintain and archive project files, drawing lists, conveyor lists and drawings, etc.
- Review assumptions used and constraints placed on the system by stakeholders
- Utilize and develop standard procedures, designs and assemblies where possible
- Provide design and installation feedback to facilitate better budgeting and sales concepts
- Perform any other engineering-related requests Management may require
- Stay abreast of new technologies and evaluate new mechanical components for improved functionality and cost-effectiveness
- A forward-facing representative of the organization
- Four-year degree in mechanical or industrial engineering, or equivalent experience
- Material handling/ Post and Parcel/ Distribution experience a plus
- Minimum of three years of experience in the design and development of material handling systems
- Minimum of three years of experience working with a material handling integrator, equipment supplier, or end-user. (Including design, knowledge of conveying equipment, as well as interaction with, installation services and project management)
- Computer skills include Windows-based operating systems and utilities, AutoCAD 2019, and all Microsoft Office Products including Microsoft Outlook
- Navisworks, Recap, Point Cloud capabilities a plus
Please forward resume(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org
SUMMERFIELD ASSOCIATES, INC. is an award winning and nationally recognized leader in the consulting and recruiting industry. We are dedicated to the success of our clients, our employees, and our business. To view more of our opportunities please visit www.summerfield.net