The Automation Engineer is responsible for automation and control systems design, specifications, programming and simulation of production equipment. The position collects task data, creates project schedules, tracks progress and prepares updates relative to installation or continuous improvement of existing production equipment.
- Develops plans for testing and debugging automation equipment while applying knowledge of engineering technology as necessary.
- Programs, troubleshoots and evaluates any design considerations on new and existing systems and equipment.
- Designs engineering solutions that meet the manufacturing facilities requirements while monitoring budget constraints in order to maximize production equipment quality and efficiency.
- Assists in the preparation of the scope of a project, cost justification and AFE (overall cost proposal) to senior management for approval as required.
- Maintains awareness of and controls project cost, quality, scope and schedule to ensure on time delivery of projects within internal budgets. Prepares any necessary progress reports for management.
- Leads or participates in engineering design reviews as required and requested by Management.
- Conducts R & D activities concerned with integration and testing of electronic/mechanical components and systems and in development of applications.
- Applies mechanical theory, mechanical testing procedures and related knowledge to layout, build, test, troubleshoot, repair and modify developmental and production equipment.
- Works with maintenance department to ensure preventative and predictive maintenance compliance.
- Programs software to configure and/or make modifications to automated systems and process control systems, which will include maintaining a backup library of robotic, PLC and other instrumentation software.
- Evaluates, selects and coordinates with outside vendors for design, machining and fabrication of tooling and systems.
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical/Industrial/Electrical Engineering or minimum of 5 years of equivalent experience.
- Equivalent combination of education, training or experience will be considered.
- Problem solver and mechanically inclined with strong PC skills.
- Must understand the applications of PLC in automated systems, including the ability to program and troubleshoot relay ladder logic.
- Experience with providing status reports.
- High volume of travel.