POSITION TITLE: Chef
POSITION SUMMARY: Prepares and serves nutritious, attractive meals according to planned menus. Assists manager maintain high standards for food production and kitchen cleanliness.
REPORTS TO: Dining Services Director
- Prepares and serves meals per planned menus, using standardized portion sizes. Makes substitutions only when necessary and reports all substitutions to manager.
- Ensures that meals are cooked, held, and served at correct temperatures, at the appropriate times and in an attractive manner.
- Keeps all temperature and serving logs up to date. Reports all equipment problems to manager.
- Prepares meals for modified or specialized diets, according to instructions from nursing department (with physician’s order). Keeps updated lists of residents who require modified meal portions or other dietary restrictions. Uses low salt products and no added salt during food preparation.
- Assures residents’ satisfaction by visiting periodically with residents in the dining room to solicit feedback.
- Assists Manager with menu planning to allow for seasonal foods and menu variety.
- Reviews food delivery packing slips for accuracy. Puts deliveries away properly.
- Ensures proper dating, labeling, and handling of all stored foods in pantry, country kitchens, refrigerators, etc.
- Follows cleaning schedules and sanitation checklists to ensure kitchen and food service areas are kept in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition.
- Ensure compliance with all state and other regulations
- Gives feedback to Food Services Manager of problems or concerns in the food services department.
- Helps fill in for cooking shifts when other cooks are on vacation, out sick, etc.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Ability to prepare and serve a wide range of foods skillfully.
- Working knowledge of the rules and regulations related to health and safety in food preparation.
- Ability to organize and utilize time appropriately to accomplish assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
- Able to regularly lift up to 30 pounds, to occasionally lift more than 50 pounds, and to spend long periods of time standing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must be at least 18 years of age. High school graduate or equivalent GED required. Must demonstrate successful employment as a cook. Prefer two or more years experience in cooking for large groups (50+ people).