In operation for almost 50 years, this family owned forging and casting company is currently looking for a Forging Process Engineer to aide in ensuring efficient operations at their facility in Downriver, MI.
About the Company
Our client is a leading producer of custom impression die forgings to Auto, Agriculture and Aerospace as a tier 1 supplier. Some of their products have even been featured on Jay Leno's Garage. Their group has the distinction of being one of the first companies worldwide who was certified in QS9000/ISO9002.
What sets our client apart from other organizations is the belief that quality and service should be delivered without compromise, which is why their Downriver facility operates on a zero defect policy, and always strives to deliver a perfect product to its customers. The company has the result of that mission by celebrating nearly 50 years of business in 2016, and has doubled its sales over the past five years.
So if you are interested in a small to mid size industrial opportunity with a company devoted to maintaining a quality reputation, please read further.
- Advise management of strategic issues, along with their technical and process risks
- Design material processing, assembly, and handling systems/equipment to maximize production throughput, while minimizing changeover times
- Specify and procure capital equipment to ensure technological advantage and competitiveness through process capability and control
- Develop effective setup reduction strategies and preventive and predictive maintenance processes to maximize equipment uptime
- Administer workplace safety processes as defined by OSHA and industry guidelines
- Advise on product liability and life cycle issues
- Act as mentor, facilitator, and educator of the work force to foster cross training, cross functional creativity, and teamwork
- Advise on product and process capabilities and limitations to ensure the proper alignment between product design and process capabilities
- Advise operations management on logistical considerations as they influence cycle time, transportation damage, and product costs
- Design/maintain, procure/modify, and implement tooling to optimize the production process, meet process capability requirements, and meet product quality specifications
- Provide leadership for Continuous Improvement efforts
- Maintain and update manufacturing documentation including process sheets, routers, ECR's and ECO's
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives
Forging Process Engineer
As a family owned company run by 2nd generation President/owner. The right candidate must have an understanding of the culture and dynamics of a family owned company and is able to thrive in that environment. Using the words, “it is not my job" is not an option.
The chosen candidate must display a high level of commitment and drive.
- BS in Engineering (prefer ME)
- High level of technical knowledge in the forging process especially closed die hammer forging experience is required.
- QS 9000, 5S, Lean, Six Sigma experience a plus
- Ability to meet challenges head on and “out of the box" thinking is required
- Excellent communication skills both with staff and customers. Ability to positively represent the brand at all times.
- Working with the management team, engineering/die shop/hammer shop to ensure that the forged and machined products are produced and delivered on time and that the standard of quality is maintained.
- Ensure production dies, forging hammers, coining presses can maintain high level of quality.
- Ensure production print/specification changes are updated in appropriate systems
- Continually improve manufacturing capabilities and efficiencies and ensure parts are delivered on-time.
- Have a positive effect on product quality and enhance customer satisfaction