Job Title Environmental Health & Safety Manager
FLSA Status: Salaried
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager is responsible for identifying occupational hazards and health and environmental risks. This person will oversee the implementation of preventive or corrective measures, equipment, training and education necessary to ensure that Wieland metals/Wieland copper products meet and/or exceed the requirements of federal, state and local regulations, codes and/or laws and company policies and procedures (e.g. ISO14001 standards). This position will drive the safety culture throughout the organization, leading by example and setting the tone that environmental and health safety is a core value.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops, publishes and raises general level of awareness of safety and environmental programs consistent with regulations and company policy
- Performs job hazard analysis to identify loss potential of our systems and processes
- Communicates and develops environmental, health and safety strategies among the management team and across the business
- Develops and oversees training of employees/contract associates, managers/supervisors and other employees in the areas of general safety and environmental awareness, specific program requirements and specific job requirements.
- Responsible for compliance of documentation and review of work procedures and machine guarding to ensure compliance with OSHA and ISO14001 standards
- Manages PPE, Safety and Environmental programs
- Ensure a safe and environmentally responsible plant according to the applying regulations
- Investigates near misses and incidents, assessing root cause and working cross - functionally to resolve.
- Reviews and interprets loss and data to discover causative agents and recommends appropriate corrective actions.
- Reviews and revises company standards, policies and practices as necessary to ensure they are current and in concert with company and / or regulatory requirements.
- Reviews and evaluates technical developments to measure applicability to company processes.
- Ensures that employees are properly trained/retrained in in the appropriate intervals and coordinates necessary training. Responsible for documenting training.
- Maintains required records, prepares reports and files as necessary to meet corporate and regulatory requirements.
- Reviews near miss reports, files incidents with worker’s compensation carrier, completes Illinois form 45, and works to close cases and return employees to work.
- Conducts hazard and job safety analysis to ensure proper use of machinery and equipment, personal protective equipment, and procedures.
- Organizes and coordinates emergency response, evacuation and crisis management plans.
- Investigates accidents to ascertain causes in order to develop preventive safety measures and programs.
No supervisory responsibilities assigned. Exercises independent judgment regarding assigned responsibilities and consults manager in situations that would have a significant affect on business.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Recognized as a strong contributor within the organization
- Very strong ability and desire to learn and apply new concepts
- The personality and desire of a strong "change agent"
- Very strong ability to lead, coach, facilitate, and communicate with individuals across a broad
- range of education, experience, and functional levels
- Demonstrated high performance and commitment to continuous improvement
- Ability to break down personality barriers and deal with functional barriers that may also occur
- Drive for Results & Action Oriented
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions and deal with several issues at once.
- Ability to create and deliver training presentations.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree (B.A.) or equivalent technical background; related experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Radiation Safety Officer
- Environmental Management System expert
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Involves periods of sitting at desk and computer, standing, walking, and negotiating stairs, ladders, elevated catwalks and platforms in hot or cold production environment on slippery surfaces for the purpose of directing operations and evaluating situations.
- Perform duties under pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to travel approximately 5%
Due to travel expectations of this position, this individual will be required to obtain a valid passport within 6 months of obtaining the position. This passport must also be maintained and kept valid by the individual.