Legal Counsel - Compliance - Oakland, CA
LEGAL COUNSEL - COMPLIANCE
The California Nurses Association/National Nurses United (“CNA/NNU”) is seeking an experienced Legal Counsel - Compliance to oversee and/or advise the organization on all aspects of legal compliance which may include but is not limited to: DOL and IRS reporting, Beck Notice preparation, Election law, PAC reporting, insurance procurement, 401(k) administration, and contract review in Oakland, CA.
CNA/NNU is the nation's largest union and professional association of direct care registered nurses, with nearly 225,000 members in all 50 states.
- Advise organization on broad spectrum of compliance matters, including non-profit, labor, tax, and election laws.
- Advise Union on campaign finance reporting and registration requirements in electoral and advocacy campaigns, including managing day to day activities of Union’s political action committees.
- Ensure Union compliance with federal, state, and local lobbying regulations and reporting requirements.
- Guide Union through inquiries, audits, and other administrative actions by external regulatory agencies.
- Counsel organization on LMRDA and fiduciary obligations
- Serve as lead counsel on internal governance matters, including overseeing officer elections and conventions.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with DOL and state reporting requirements, including LM-2’s, 990s, Beck Notices, and audits.
- Counsel Union on wide variety of legal requirements applicable to administrative functions, including but not limited to: contracts, data privacy, document retention, intellectual property
- Advise on dues policy and member rights.
Qualifications and Experience:
- JD and membership in the California Bar.
- 8+ years of experience as a labor lawyer.
- Proven ability to engage in cross-departmental collaboration.
- Ability to work with administrative staff (both support staff and managerial) to translate complex legal concepts governing Unions into lay language and create easy to use reference guides and checklists.
· Extremely organized and detail-oriented
· Outstanding communication and personal interaction skills, and demonstrated strategic leadership abilities
· Ability to prioritize, juggle competing priorities, and shift focus on projects quickly and easily
· Excellent time management skills and ability to work under tight deadlines
· A belief in the importance of unions and a commitment to the core mission of the organization
CNA/NNU provides a very competitive salary $119k-$194k depending on experience and benefit package including full family and domestic partner coverage, medical, dental, pension and 401(k).
Please use link below to upload resume and cover letter. Please be sure to fill out the online application form.
CNA/NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.