San Francisco Bay Area, California
National Nurses United (NNU), the nation’s largest nurses’ union and professional association, seeks a committed professional who has successfully helped develop politically progressive policies for the position of Regulatory/Policy Specialist in the Oakland-based Health Policy Department. We will help the right person making a long-term commitment learn more about health care and nursing regulations.
NNU is the premiere organization of registered nurses and one of the nation’s fastest growing labor and professional organizations in the U.S., and a strong, progressive voice for nurses, patients, and healthcare workers around the world. We are seeking a like-minded and experienced professional who believes in our mission with a personal dedication to social justice issues to be our Regulatory/Policy Specialist. Key policy areas include Registered Nurse licensure, scope of practice, and workplace rights; Medicare for All; public health and patient advocacy; health care equity; and health care delivery and payment systems.
- Monitor, interpret, and assess proposed legislation and government agency regulations for potential impact on Registered Nurses, public health and safety, and health care policy
- Develop NNU response, and draft reports on the effects of regulations, legislation, and policy for members, leaders, and staff
- Develop policy positions, testimony, talking points, and lobbying materials
- Prepare and submit regulatory comments on complex registered nurse and health policy issues
- May also occasionally present information to staff, union members, or the public
- Share the values and mission of the organization
- Bachelor’s degree (law or policy degree a plus)
- Demonstrated written and analytical skills
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Three years’ experience working in a position requiring judgment and confidentiality
- Experience in regulatory/policy advocacy
- Experience juggling competing demands and changing priorities on a deadline
- Track record of working the hours required to be successful at creating change
- Understanding how regulatory agencies and commissions work
- Experience in health policy issues
- Firsthand experience drafting effective legislation and regulations
NNU provides a competitive salary $107,524 to $177, 967 DOE and benefit package including full family and domestic partner coverage, medical, dental, pension and 401(k).
Please provide the following:
- A current resume reflecting qualifications for this position
- A Letter of Application which specifically addresses how accomplishments in your career have prepared you for this position.
- Be sure to fill out the one-page form
NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.