Community Organizer, CalCare/Medicare for All Campaign
Location: Oakland, Glendale, or Sacramento, California
California Nurses Association/National Nurses United (CNA/NNU) seeks an experienced Community Organizer to join its Medicare for All and CalCare Campaigns team. This position involves distributed and community organizing to advance the CalCare campaign in California and Medicare for All nationally.
CNA/NNU is the nation's largest union and professional association of direct care registered nurses, with nearly 225,000 members from all 50 states. We are a strong, progressive voice for nurses, patients, and health care workers around the world.
CNA/NNU is also one of the largest organizations in the country leading the movement for health care justice. Join this dynamic team of campaign organizers to continue to build the campaign, which is focused on recruiting, training, and supporting a growing grassroots base of volunteers across the country to build power and win.
- Recruit, support, and build relationships with volunteers -- which includes both union members and community members -- through the campaigns. This includes extensive time calling, texting, emailing, etc. in communication with volunteers.
- Train volunteers over Zoom how to do key tasks like knock on doors, send texts, make phone calls, and more.
- Develop written campaign materials and content, such as emails, peer-to-peer texting scripts, webinars and presentations, and more.
- Staff in-person community events as needed, with a particular emphasis on California.
- Assist with developing and implementing campaign strategy on both the CalCare and Medicare for All campaigns.
- Communicate with the public effectively about the issue of single-payer health care, including a proficient policy understanding.
- Embrace the sometimes tedious and repetitive tasks that are needed to keep volunteer teams thriving, such as making hours of recruitment calls to onboard new volunteers, staying on the phone with a volunteer to teach them how to use a key piece of organizing technology, and updating daily spreadsheet trackers.
- 2-3 years’ experience in campaign organizing, either professionally or as a volunteer. Experience with distributed organizing is a plus.
- Experience with key organizing tools like Zoom, Google Apps, ActionKit, ThruText, Slack, etc.
- Proficient writer with ability to meet short deadlines.
- Applicants with bilingual, multilingual skills are highly encouraged to apply.
- Proven effectiveness working with local leaders and organizations in one or more diverse communities.
- Experience organizing in working-class communities, communities of color, and marginalized communities is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to function well as part of a team and equally comfortable running with solo tasks.
- Willingness to work hours and schedule as needed to complete projects and support organizational campaigns.
- A valid driver’s license and ability to travel.
- Demonstrated commitment to social change.
- Commitment to organizational discipline.
The anticipated salary range and anticipated pay scale for this position is $92,063-$177,967. The anticipated starting salary is $92,063 - $99,171. Excellent benefits package, including comprehensive family and domestic partner health and dental plans, and a generous pension.
How to Apply
Please send a résumé and cover letter in PDF or Word format and complete the online application.
The California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee is a premier organization of registered nurses and one of the nation’s fastest growing labor and professional organizations in the U.S. and a strong, progressive voice for nurses, patients, and healthcare workers around the world. We are seeking a like-minded and experienced professional who believes in our mission with a personal dedication to social justice issues to fill the position of Community Organizer on our team.
CNA/NNOC is committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.