Public Company – Rapid City, SD
High growth public company is looking for a Director of Audit/Chief Auditor to direct the functions of the Internal Audit Department. This position is responsible to add value and contribute to the improvement of the Corporation’s risk management, control and governance processes, through conducting independent and objective evaluations of the Corporation and its subsidiaries’ internal control systems, Company operations, and compliance with Company Policies and Procedures, reporting the results of these audits to Management and the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
Headquartered in Rapid City, SD, our client is a multibillion-dollar diversified energy company operating in eight states!
- Develop a flexible annual audit plan using appropriate risk-based methodology, including risks or control concerns identified by the Audit Committee or management for the evaluation of management controls provided over significant company activities, operations and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Submit the annual plan to the Audit Committee for review and approval and provide periodic updates on the status and results of the annual audit plan and the sufficiency of department resources.
- Implement the annual audit plan, as approved, including as appropriate any special tasks or projects requested by management or the Audit Committee.
- Maintain a professional audit staff ensuring sufficient experience, knowledge, and skills to meet the needs of the Charter of the Internal Audit Department.
- Direct the internal audit activity in conformance with the Board approved Internal Audit Charter, encompassing compliance with the Institute of Internal Auditors International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, including performing internal audit services within the Definition of Internal Auditing and adhering to The Institute’s Code of Ethics.
- Coordinate audit planning with the Company’s external auditors to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of internal and external audit activities.
- Operate the Internal Audit Department within the constraints of its operating budget.
- Identify and make recommendations for more efficient and effective uses of Company resources.
- Direct the planning of audit projects, including coordination of timing and work to be performed between the Internal Audit department and the applicable Company individuals.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to all subordinates ensuring that the necessary plans for growth and development and proactive communications are present which support a participative and results-oriented environment.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Business, Information Systems or similar/applicable degree required or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) desirable.
- CPA, Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) required.
- Ten or more years of accounting/auditing progressive leadership experience required.
- Ten or more years general audit experience in the internal audit department of a public company or in public accounting.
- Risk based, integrated audit experience and experience assessing basic information technology controls (security, change management, and computer operations).
- Experience with data mining tools is preferred.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS).
- Demonstrated knowledge of controls pursuant to criteria set forth by Committee of Sponsoring Organizations (COSO) and other control systems and knowledge of SOX 404 regulations and compliance.
- Familiarity with Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) requirements.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficient knowledge of internal audit best in class practices and industry benchmarks.
- Demonstrated impact and influence with both cross functional and senior leadership.
- Ability to create and implement plans to achieve long-term strategic objectives that are aligned with company initiatives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with managers and employees at all levels.