ABOUT GETTY: The J. Paul Getty Trust (“Getty”) is the world’s largest—and one of its most influential—cultural and philanthropic organizations dedicated to the visual arts. Through its work in Los Angeles and around the world—including conservation, research, publication, exhibitions, grants, and education—Getty’s leadership advances the understanding, presentation, and conservation of the world’s cultural heritage.
Through the collective and individual work of its four constituent programs—the Getty Conservation Institute, the Getty Foundation, the J. Paul Getty Museum, and the Getty Research Institute—Getty pursues its mission internationally, serving both the general interested public and a wide range of specialized professional communities to promote a vital society through an understanding of the visual arts.
Two million visitors each year enjoy art, architecture, and gardens at Getty’s two locations in Los Angeles: the Getty Villa Museum, and the Getty Center. To learn more about how Getty seeds, supports, inspires, and engages an extraordinarily broad range of audiences around the globe, please visit getty.edu.
THE OPPORTUNITY: Getty Communications increases awareness of The J. Paul Getty Trust, its programs, and its impact. The department expands access to art and engages public audiences through creative content development, media relations, marketing, social media, and digital communications strategies.
The Associate Director, Getty Communications (AD) will help develop and implement strategic communication plans that enhance Getty’s brand and reputation and improve access, engagement, and reach for external and internal audiences.
The AD will be charged with establishing content priorities, developing effective positioning, and executing strategic communication plans aligned with organizational goals and objectives. They will also direct content creation that spans organizational communications, earned media, social media, audio and video production, and Getty-owned channels. The AD will also, on occasion, serve as a Getty spokesperson and help to manage the institutional response to critical and breaking issues and crises. This is an exceptional opportunity to join one of the world’s most influential cultural and philanthropic institutions dedicated to advancing the visual arts.
The AD reports to and works closely with the Vice President, Communications, and leads a team of 23 responsible for media relations and digital content development in Getty’s Communications office. Direct reports include Editorial Director, Lead Creative Producer, and Assistant Director for Media Relations.
- Genuine interest in/passion for Getty’s mission and values.
- At least 10 years’ experience in communications, public relations, or related roles, preferably in philanthropic, cultural, art-related, or academic organizations. Candidates from the corporate community or consulting will also be considered.
- Strong leadership skills to effectively manage and mentor staff and foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
- Ability to set and communicate clear goals and effectively delegate and support work.
- Track record of developing and implementing multifaceted communications plans that position and elevate the perception of a complex institution.
- Genuine commitment to the principles and practices of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Exceptional strategic, planning, and project management skills.
- Full understanding of the content creation process from creative conceptualization to fulfillment, including expert knowledge of traditional and new media.
- Outstanding public relations acumen.
- Broad and current theoretical and practical knowledge of corporate communications and public relations.
- Experience overseeing the creation of writing, editing, digital, social, visual, and multimedia content and multiple content creators.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work diplomatically and effectively within a large, complex, multidimensional environment.
- Strong work ethic and the willingness and ability to regularly participate in weekend and evening events.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or a related field is required. A graduate degree is desired by not required.
- The hiring pay scale is $188,000+ in addition to very attractive benefits.
- Los Angeles area residency is required. Hybrid in-office and remote work schedule.
Please click here to view the complete position description.