ABOUT NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART: The mission of the National Gallery of Art is to serve the nation by welcoming all people to explore and experience art, creativity, and our shared humanity. Conceived and given to the people of the United States by Andrew W. Mellon, the National Gallery serves as a center of visual art, education, and culture.
The collection of more than 150,000 paintings, sculptures, decorative arts, photographs, prints, and drawings spans the history of Western art and showcases some of the triumphs of human creativity. Each object accessioned into the collection is privately donated or purchased with privately donated funds. Loan exhibitions further enable the museum to display art from a wider range of cultures and periods. The Gallery welcomes more than five million visitors each year—60 percent from outside the District’s metropolitan area. Admission to the National Gallery is free at all times.
Located on the National Mall between 3rd and 9th Streets along Constitution Avenue, NW in Washington, DC, the National Gallery of Art’s campus includes the West Building, inaugurated in 1941; the East Building, which opened in 1978; and Sculpture Garden, which opened in 1999. For more additional on the National Gallery’s virtual programs, collections, exhibitions, and more, please visit nga.gov.
FUNDING: In FY 2020, the National Gallery had an annual operating budget of approximately $170 million, 80% of which is received from federal funding sources. Annual contributed support is approximately $30 million.
THE OPPORTUNITY: The National Gallery is currently completing a new strategic plan that will: reflect and attract the nation; build deeper connections through content; provide a visitor-focused experience; and operate a sustainable and equitable museum.
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) reports to and works closely with the Deputy Director and his entire external affairs team, which includes the offices for special events, communications, visitor experience, and content strategy and branding to develop and implement strategies that attract, welcome, and engage diverse donors from across the nation. He/she/they will secure private funds that fulfill the Gallery’s expanded vision for serving the nation, and foster a strong culture of philanthropy to ensure that the Gallery builds upon its ability to achieve its mission, goals, and objectives for years to come. The CDO also oversees solicitation and stewardship of the Gallery’s Trustees’ Council and donor circles that offer opportunities for volunteer engagement and support. The CDO manages a full-time team of 22.
- Genuine interest in and appreciation for the National Gallery and its mission.
- Outstanding development professional in the arts, culture, education, or other related fields with a successful history of leadership in a competitive philanthropic landscape.
- Demonstrate ability to create and implement successful strategies to expand a national and international donor base.
- Ability to evaluate, assess, and reimagine the current donor affinity group structure.
- Success building a pipeline of prospects and managing a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects.
- Frontline major gift solicitation experience having secured 6- to 7-figure gifts.
- Capital campaign experience.
- Strategic and creative thinker.
- Proven ability to foster, enhance, and expand relationships with existing donors and to influence and tap new, diverse supporters.
- Highly developed administrative, interpersonal, and social skills.
- A collaborative working style.
- An exceptional communicator who can craft and articulate compelling, persuasive cases for support.
- Working knowledge of commonly used fundraising software applications.
- Commitment to embracing current and emerging best practice tactics in philanthropy.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and to managing, supporting, and advancing a diverse team.
- Ability and willingness to attend evening and weekend National Gallery events on a regular basis and to travel as needed.
Please click here to view the complete position description.