ABOUT THE MET: The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) collects, studies, conserves, and presents significant works of art across all times and cultures to connect people to creativity, knowledge, and ideas.
The Met presents over 5,000 years of art from around the world for everyone to experience and enjoy. The Museum lives in two iconic sites in New York City—The Met Fifth Avenue and the Met Cloisters. Millions of people also take part in The Met experience online.
Since its founding in 1870, The Met has always aspired to be more than a treasury of rare and beautiful objects. Every day art comes alive in the Museum’s galleries and through its exhibitions and events, revealing both new ideas and unexpected connections across time and across cultures. For more information, please visit metmuseum.org.
FUNDING: For fiscal year 2022, The Met has an annual operating budget of approximately $300 million. Membership revenue generated $19.2 million in 2021 and is on target to reach $24.7 million for 2022.
THE OPPORTUNITY: The Head of Membership is an integral member of Institutional Advancement leadership. The successful candidate will bring the strategic, creative leadership required to evolve The Met’s comprehensive membership and outreach programs locally, nationally, and internationally. He/she/they will create and oversee broadly gauged efforts designed to expand to new audiences and retain current members. The Membership Department is embarking on a new path for growth, and the Head of Membership will leverage and foster partnerships with other revenue-generating teams in the Museum. The individual in this role will be expected to establish and achieve aggressive and realistic revenue targets.
The Head of Membership is accountable for ensuring an inclusive environment in which diverse talents are supported and developed. This is unique opportunity to join one of the world’s cultural treasures and to take a successful membership program and base to new levels of success. The Head of Membership reports to the Senior Vice President for Institutional Advancement. Reporting to the Head of Membership is a team of nine.
- Significant experience building and leading innovation in membership, giving, and loyalty.
- History of accomplishment in a major, high-profile cultural arts, higher education, or corporate setting.
- Experience with current and emerging tactics in membership retention and growth.
- Knowledge of marketing theory and best practices applications to successful membership, alumni, and customer recruitment and retention campaigns.
- Committed to embracing and employing new digital and social media technologies.
- Knowledge of Tessitura is preferred.
- Strong analytical, statistical, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated success in managing people and resources.
- Exceptional communication and listening skills.
- A collaborative, inclusive, team-driven style.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
- Interest in art, education, and the broader cultural community.
- Willingness and ability to regularly participate in evening and weekend events and to travel as required.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
Please click here to view the complete position description.