· Develops, coaches and mentors direct staff including Manufacturing Engineer, Product Development Chemist and Product Technician through effective on-boarding, communication, personal development planning and performance management processes.
· Understands departmental needs to meet industry requirements and ensures the team is appropriately staffed with required competencies.
· Develops and oversees budget along with policies and procedures for Engineering Department
· Promotes and encourages process improvement to quality, efficiency, safety, and communication
· Leads innovation and all corporate research and development activities, including directing project priorities and planning, estimated costs, and leads the successful commercialization of product yielding significant increases in revenue and profit
· Oversees and manages the New Product Development Process (NPD) and the Custom Coating Process (CCI) for all new products, including product qualification of the opportunity, development of the solution, commercialization and transition to Product Manager and/or the appropriate Business Development Manager
· Researches alternatives to existing raw materials, adhesives, and formulas to lower costs, increase profitability, and improve performance
· Develops, communicates, and maintains finished product specifications and verifies strict adherence throughout the organization
· Works with suppliers in qualifying new raw materials to generate cost reductions or develop alternate sources.
· Develops specifications and procedures to effectively control the product design process
· Responsible for lab evaluations including sample preparation, product and raw material testing, and record keeping
· Works directly with Outside Service Providers to qualify their capability to meet Jessup Manufacturing’s’ requirements
· Coordinates with Marketing & Sales to define the market/customer requirements, leads all product design, product certifications, develops product requirements, and verifies that all requirements are met during the manufacturing process leading to successful product commercialization.
· Responsible for the creation and maintains engineering master (EM) for coated products in VISUAL and supports Operations with the redesign of existing commercialized products.
· Provides expert consultation in one or more areas for the design, development, process and implementation of technical products and systems and supports Product Manager with the management of all existing products.
· Provides technical support to Sales, Customer Service, Operations, QA, and Materials Management.
· Responsible for Safety Data Sheets (SDS) as required by OSHA.
· Manages all activities related to product certifications with Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Electrical Testing Laboratory (ETL), Mil Spec agencies and municipal, state and federal governmental agencies; communicates any issues to the Leadership Team
· Maintains all Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) documentation and ensures compliance to all local and federal requirements. Prepares and submits all necessary reports to ensure company complies with all requirements outlined in the law and operating permits.
· Assists with company’s compliance with Environment, Health, and Safety (EHS) requirements.